Monday, April 13, 2009

Arise, My Love...

So, this Easter weekend has been eye-opening for me.
 
I'll start with Good Friday.
 
I have a brand new cousin, Ryan Gardose Harrison (his middle name is my aunt's maiden name--she's Filipino). He is so precious. Born on Good Friday, April 10th, 11:25am, 7lbs 8 oz. 20 in. long. He has a big sister, Camille Joy, who is 15 months old. but sorry--no pics :(
 
My aunt and I went to Conway on Friday to welcome the newest member of our family. We talked there and back. I loved talking to her on the way back. This aunt, Aunt Bettye, is my dad's older sister. She used to call me "Miss Priss". haha! I was asking her all kinds of questions about family that I hadn't seen in a while including my great Uncle Bill, 89. (He's not in great shape, so I try to keep up with how he's doing.) 
 
My aunt is 13 years older than my dad was. So my curiosity got the best of me in our conversation and I finally asked about my grandfather, her father. You see, growing up--I had only heard stories about my great grandparents and I knew my dad's mom but I had never heard stories about my grandfather. Well, my grandfather died when my dad was only 3. and my aunt was 16 or so...so--I asked her to tell me about him and she did. I love hearing stories about family. Except I definitely hate it when people say that they would've loved me, that makes me only want to meet them more. It makes me miss them--even though I never knew them. When I think about my kids, I cannot wait to tell them stories about my dad. I know that I will say--"He would've loved you"--because I know he would have. 
 
We talked about Dad, Mom, cousins, Aunts, Uncles, and friends. I feel like it was a bonding moment for us.
 
So Saturday came. Mom had to work for a little bit, so I went to Pine Bluff to get my Aunt Debbie for the day! This aunt is my Mom's sister. We talked the whole way back to LR. We talked about family, friends, and where we wanted to go that day! Well we got into town and she ran an errand with me. Then we walked around a Garden Center and went to eat at Panera! After that, I had a second interview for a job, which I got FYI!!! :D And while I was doing that, She and Mom (after she joined) went to Penney's and walked around for a bit. Other shopping was had Saturday and then some good Italian food at Olive Garden for my family Birthday dinner! ......then Saturday left.
 
SUNDAY!! EASTER!!
 
I wore a not-so-new dress that I finally got to wear for the first time after having it for about a year and a half. And Brother Ed preached a great sermon entitled, "The Resurrection Expectation", reading from Luke 24:1-6a.
 
He pointed out that Jesus conquered Death, our sins are forgiven, we have eternal life, an eternal home is ours, and the big one (for me): believers are reunited.
 
I had never thought about that before. As soon as Jesus comes back for us in the Second Coming, we will be reunited with all the past believers who have gone home to be with the Lord. 
 
"Brother's, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words."  
--1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
 
Such an amazing thought. Such an unfathomable thought, as well. 
 
I probably couldn't describe how badly I want to see my daddy again. The feeling of longing is brutal and breath-taking sometimes. 
 
I realized recently that I go to my happy place when I'm in a hug. When I hug male family members (uncles, cousins, family friends), I wrap my arms around them, close my eyes, and go into my happy place. I remember my dad. I remember his bear hugs. I remember...

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I remember witnessing one of those bear hugs you had with your dad once. I was in the choir and it looked like you didn't really expect him to be there because of the way you ran up to him and hugged him. It was a really precious moment and I was so glad I got to see it from the vantage point of the choir loft. (I can't remember how I found your blog (maybe Facebook?), but I really love it.)

Sadie said...

Can I be your friend? ... geez. (yes, I hijacked your comment format ;))

Holly said...

Congratulations on your new cousin! :)

Sadie said...

remember that time you updated your blog and I was so excited?