Thursday, December 12, 2013

Waiting for him

Friends! God is teaching me so so so many things lately. It is EXCITING! And so just plain awesome that I know He is working in my everyday life.

So last night I met up with a friend and mentor of mine, Laurie. Laurie is that person that I can say whatever I'm feeling about a situation and she loves me anyway. She understands my feelings and then gives me a carefully thought out Godly response. One of the many reasons I love her so much.

I first met Laurie at my high school. I had her for study hall for a couple of years, I believe. I nannied for her and kept her daughter Kelley for a semester. She was, and continues to be, the most genuine person I have ever met. She honestly cares about me and my life. She takes time out of her busy schedule--teacher, mom of 4, wife, friend, and so many other things--to be there for me and I couldn't be more thankful for her. There will be an extra jewel in her crown for dealing with me when she gets to Heaven. ;)

So Lars, as she is more affectionately known, has been my go-to person when I want to (let's be honest) whine about my pitiful excuse for a love life. I have blogged many times before about how I long to be a wife and mother someday. But, during last night's meeting, we kind of glazed over that issue. We just addressed it, "where are you with this?" "how's it going?", and moved on. I thought that was kind of a big step for me. There are times when that is ALL I think and talk about. Literally. But then, there are times when I am thankful that I'm not committed to anything at the moment. {Vicious cycle}

I love when God teaches me something first thing in the morning. Not sure why, but I do.

I wake up this morning and do my usual social media check and found this video about adoption. It was the sweetest video with great wisdom in it. At one point the father said this:

"We prayed for a child but in our prayers,
there wasn't a face and there wasn't a name.
We were praying for a child--
just asking God to give us a child.
It wasn't just a child that we were waiting for,
it wasn't a child that God intended to bring to our family.
And those years of waiting weren't just because God decided
He wanted us to wait an arbitrary number of years
or go through an arbitrary experience.
All those years and all the waiting
and all those prayers were for him.
For Jacob.
For our son."

The bold is my favorite. After hearing that, I equated that excerpt to my situation and inserted the words my husband for a child and I was blown away. And here it is.

"I prayed for a husband but in my prayers,
there wasn't a face and there wasn't a name.
I was praying for a husband--
just asking God to give me a husband.
It wasn't just a husband that I was waiting for,
it wasn't a husband that God intended to bring to me and my family.
And those years of waiting weren't just because God decided
He wanted me to wait an arbitrary number of years
or go through an arbitrary experience.
All those years and all the waiting
and all those prayers were for him.
For him.
For my husband."

I almost cried when I put it in this perspective for me. It also put on my heart that I wasn't praying for him like I'm supposed to be. I need to be fervently praying for him. Never ceasing. I believe that God will give me my heart's desire and that He will go above and beyond what I ever imagined my husband, children, and life to be. 

"Take delight in the Lord
and he will give you your heart's desires."
Psalm 37:4 [NLT]

"Now all glory to God, who is able,
through his mighty power at work within us,
to accomplish infinitely more than
we might ask or think."
Ephesians 3:20 [NLT]
{I also love verses 14-19}

I will better myself while I am single. My husband is out there somewhere and I'm so excited to meet him! 

But I can wait...

-katie

No comments: