Sunday, June 21, 2009

Footprints in the Sand

So it's my 4th Father's Day without my dad...and it never gets any easier. Ever since last year I've been getting upset about little things during the week before and sort of lashing out at people. I hate it because I don't really mean anything by it; it's just that I'm having a hard time.
 
My dad was a chef. My dad was a fisher. My dad was funny. My dad was goofy. My dad loved the Hogs. My dad loved talking about God--with anyone. My dad loved telling stories. My dad was a man of God. My dad was a Dad. 
 
He used to call me "Pea Baby" and I loved it.
 
I don't know how people go through tragedies without God. I know I've had my differences with God, but all in all, He's there. He carries you through that storm and leaves one set of footprints.
 
"One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

 

So, I don't know what your situation is or how you live your life or what your relationship is with people. Tell your Dad that you love and appreciate him. I can't do that anymore and there's an ache that I cannot escape because of that.

Love.

P.S. The 4th chapter is coming, I promise. Maybe Tuesday!!

No comments: